Hand Sanitizer – It’s . . . Good?

As a mom of an active child who loves to bite her nails, I must say I love hand sanitizer. I have a small bottle of it on my key chain, in my purse, in my car, and on my desk. I use it and have my daughter use it regularly in public places, on camp-outs, or around those who are sick. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s effective.

However, it’s the quick, easy, and effectiveness that point to the darker side of hand sanitizer. Children (or teens and adults for that matter) who ingest hand sanitizer, even in small amounts, run the risk of alcohol poisoning. Hand sanitizers contain high amounts of alcohol, some as high as 62%; it could be fatal for a child to ingest only an ounce or two.

You can read more information on hand sanitizer poisoning at Snopes.com, then take a moment and make sure your hand sanitizers are out of the reach of children – and may I add anyone else who would eat it (pets, teens, etc, etc).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: